COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Trolls, Griefers, and Deviants.

This post is made in an effort to define the differences between trolls, griefers, and deviants, and address them individually. I know there are several similar posts already, but with the nature of this post being different, I thought it best that it was done in a fresh thread of it's own, or maybe I just think I can do it better than others. Who knows.(trololol?)

Oh, btw, there's 2,277 words and no real TL:DR.

First let me establish some information that is relevant to the topic and not everyone seems to be aware of.

• Prisons: As of right now, they are not a thing. However, SBS has said they will add prisons if they can come up with a way to "play the prison game". With so much uproar over the topic, I'm positive they are looking for a way to implement it.

• Punishment for Crimes: The last mention of a punishment for murder was 2days of spirit loss. The same amount of loss that any player would have for suffering a coup de grace. Due to popular request, the punishment severity will very likely be in the hands of nobility, though I don't know of SBS having confirmed that yet. Hopefully SBS will impose a limit to the extent of the punishment. Whatever the amount of spirit lost may be, it will be multiplied based upon your fame/infamy.

• Spirit Loss Multiplier: When you suffer a coup de grace, or when convicted of a crime the amount of spirit you lose is multiplied based on your fame. The levels of fame are: unknown(gentry), notable(city council), prominent(mayor), famous(magistrate/baron), renowned(count), exalted(duke), and legendary(king). The multipliers are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x respectively.

Why do I bring up this information? Because people disregard spirit loss entirely as a proper punishment for deviant behavior, regardless of griefing. They are also always insisting on prisons and an absurd duration in prison.

I'll quickly detail how severe the spirit loss can get. Let's say someone murdered 10 people and was caught and convicted of all 10 murders. Okay, 20 days spirit loss as a base. Were they well known before this for some reason? Did killing 10 people increase their infamy? Let's say they are 'prominent', as well known as the local mayor. That's a 2x multiplier. So were up to 40days of spirit loss. That's 40 off of the 356days you get for a spark(average). Seems pretty decent.

Not enough? Maybe players control the punishment and set it to 4 days spirit loss for murder. Now it's 80 days play loss for 10 murders. We know players would set it even higher if possible. So, 8 days spirit loss puts it at 160 day loss for 10 murders. Damn. That's steep. Far too much because the risk for deviant players is far too high. Only a handful of deviants would put up with that. That's not what SBS wants.

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though. A griefer? Following the misconception of what people think a griefer could do, let's say they commit 40 murders and are caught. They could be caught after 2-3 murders, but the end result is still the same for 40 murders. 2 days spirit loss, 80 days lost. 4 days spirit loss, 160 days lost. 8 days spirit loss, 320 days lost. Boom. Permadead griefer(probably). Time to buy another spark.

For the sake of simplicity and the fact that people likely have their own definitions of what trolling and griefing is, I will use Wikipedia to define griefing and trolling.

Despite griefing and trolling being completely different things they are often lumped together as a single negative entity. I will hold to this trend and treat them both as 'griefers' for the sake of this discussion.

• Griefer Wikipedia: A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and angers other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways. A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals. This creates a strong division between griefing and cheating, since cheating is done with intent of winning the game and thus is discouraged by in-game penalties.

• Deviant: In the case of CoE, and for the sake of this discussion, a deviant is a player that uses the skills available in the deviant skill set to further their own goals and/or 'mission'/contract objectives at the cost of other players. Some example goals/objectives and ways to complete them are acquiring secret documents via theft, acquiring funds via theft, acquiring materials/goods/equipment via theft, sabotaging an economy via theft/destruction/murder, driving people from their land via theft/destruction/murder. Note that murder may sometimes be required for theft.

Now that I've defined griefers and deviants for the sake of this discussion, lets move onto why deviants shouldn't be punished to the extent that deviancy becomes largely extinct.

First off, why have deviant abilities in the game at all if they aren't intended for use. If they didn't want people to be concerned with being robbed or murdered then they would just disable the ability to do so entirely. I think this solidly proves that SBS fully intends for a portion of the population to be deviant.

My reasoning for why they would want such a thing is that they want players to feel the risk of potentially losing things that you worked hard for. Trust me, this is a good thing in gaming. A sense of potential loss increases the value of any gain and successful maintenance of said gain. Besides the simple fact that they need bad guys and want to avoid adding artificial content to the game as much as possible. cough liches and vampires cough

What weight and value does being 'good' even have if you never had the choice of being bad? Being good because it's the only option destroys any value it has. You only notice the light because there is darkness.

Next let's address what the requirements to be able to grief someone are. Why does this matter? Because the effort required to grief is the best deterrent possible. The concept of cost/reward applies to griefers as well.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that any settlement above a basic farming town, or maybe a mining town has a couple guards, or at least a local militia. Because they should. If they don't then the Duke and/or Baron aren't doing their jobs. Let's also make the assumption that the majority of griefers will/would work alone. There will be groups and I will address that specifically later, but for the sake of this discussion and my argument we'll assume they are solo. I would like to make another assumption, but I know it won't be accepted, so I'll save it for later.

So, because of these assumptions we can rule out any griefing in a town that has guards because they should be able handle it, and if someone goes on a random rampage it won't last long. Just think of it in the terms of that person having a mental breakdown or being mentally unstable instead of a griefer. Kind of how you would IRL.

Since we've ruled out griefing in cities because of guards we can also rule out solo-griefing outside of towns IF you have hired guards. For example, a trading caravan, traveling merchant, or a goods shipment. We won't assume that you have hired guards though, we'll address that later.

• Preparation. They will not be able to just jump into a new character and go kill someone. It's highly unlikely that a child will be able to best an adult in combat. So they will need a character of appropriate age. They then need the equipment to attack you. A weapon and simple armor(They have to pay for these somehow). They need a backpack(or mount with saddlebags) with food and water.(You won't last an hour without food and water outside of town) If they plan to chase any player down they will need to have a mount of some kind. A player won't be able to catch a carriage on foot. The mount will need saddlebags to carry anything they may steal. They will need skills in mounted combat if you are mounted as well(or they will need to disable your mount). They will need to do this every time they are caught or start a new character.

After the preparation for griefing comes the actual act of griefing, part of that being combat, another part being finding a target to grief.

• Combat difficulty. Firstly, if they wear heavy armor and are on foot you can likely outrun them. Secondly, player skill plays an incredibly massive role in combat. Even if they outclass you completely, they won't get away unscathed unless you are complete garbage at combat or unarmed. There are no instant heal mechanics(Not including potential talents). After they are injured they have to wait to recover, or suffer a major disadvantage during their next engagement. If you aren't on foot, then most likely any non-standard mount could kick their ass. I can see a trison easily taking out 2-3 players that aren't well equipped and practiced at combat with a trison. Even an ursaphant won't go down easy.

• Finding a Target: This is both simple and difficult. Sure you could likely pick any random person in a caravan to grief and go for it. This increases the risk of failure to grief dramatically though. You could alternatively put effort into finding a target you know isn't equipped for self defense and doesn't have a guard. The majority of griefers want to put in as little effort as possible, so it's likely they will just attack randomly. This coincides with increasing the effort to grief being a valid deterrent to griefing.

Remember that assumption I wanted to make earlier, but saved for later? Were going to address that now as well as hiring guards to protect you.

Before we dive into that though, let's quickly mention what threats, other than players, there are when outside of towns. Wildlife(pteroguins, and canis rabbits), NPC bandits, and NPC evils(vampires, liches, and potentially daemons) Those are some pretty serious threats.

Now to that assumption I mentioned. Everyone not in a heavily guarded city should carry a simple weapon. I would like to assume that everyone is aware enough to do so. You never know when you might need to defend yourself. Those threats I mentioned could just as easily enter into an unguarded town. Sure, you won't stand a chance against a group of NPC bandits on your own, but if all the people in your small town are armed and band together they could make the bandits think twice about raiding you. Sadly I know that people just aren't going to do that until they are forced to by unfortunate events. This leads into my final bullet point(maybe? you hope? We'll see :P ).

• Stupidity, Foolishness, and Naivete. Leaving a town unprotected, on foot, and unprepared for combat is stupid at best. If you are traveling from one town to another without being prepared then you are asking to be griefed/robbed. If you have any cargo of significant value then you need to hire a couple of guards at the least. If you don't, then you are simply stupid. Can't afford a guard? Blame yourself for spending all your funds elsewhere. Trading your product isn't profitable enough to afford a guard? Then why are you trading that product?

Now for my last topic. How the system is okay as it is, if not a little too harsh on deviant players, but that's okay. We'll roll with it.

I lied, time for another bullet point, just because I can.

• Cost and Reward: Whatever you want to call it, cost/benefit, effort/reward, it's all the same thing. Deviants and griefers have roughly the same level of effort required for simple highway robbery. A significantly larger effort is required for the more complex deviant tasks. This cost and reward system is why I think everything will be okay. There's a strong enough cost to prevent the majority of griefers from... griefing. For the rest, SBS has given us the means to defend ourselves. Protect yourself at all times. What about the super hardcore griefers? Well, if someone hacks the game and ruins your day, then that's too bad. That's how I look at the fringe hardcore griefers. The ones that move in a group and have a large organization backing them and providing them equipment. You literally cannot punish griefers anymore without the collateral of punishing deviants as well. Fear not though. This is where your community steps in. It is the job of the local Baron or Duke to hunt down and root out groups like this. They must protect their citizens. If they don't, you need to move.

To summarize, I believe that the effort required to grief will deter the majority of griefers, but not all the serious deviants. Not only will it deter them, but SBS has provided every tool necessary to defend yourself against both griefers and deviants. It's up to you to make the effort required to do so. I hope there's enough value in protecting yourself to outweigh the cost. winky face

All input is welcome! Please don't hesitate to comment!

2/20/2018 12:39:10 AM #61

Posted By Malais at 2:43 PM - Mon Feb 19 2018

Posted By Snipehunter at 1:41 PM - Mon Feb 19 2018

Posted By Poldano at 05:15 AM - Mon Feb 19 2018

There is a game-mechanics issue I have concerning farmers, which is that farming really cannot be effectively done inside of town walls; the fields are too big but too intrinsically low-value to be worth putting defensive walls around. Watchtowers will be a necessity where PvP is likely. Isolated farms will be a risky endeavor, because the farmers will have to be quite defense-oriented. Villages, hamlets, and isolated taverns will all need to address defenses early on post-launch, because to the best of my knowledge none of these come with Aristocrat-package defensive EP goodies. Perhaps this is why baronies, with their defensive perks, are the nominal farming domains per SBS information.

That's an interesting concern, but if I could offer some advice: Don't underestimate the distances in Elyria. A remote farm likely has more to worry about from wildlife or local banditry than they do a more serious concerted assault or mob. (Unless, of course, they are explicitly targeted, but that's an exception) With travel times what they are and the player base distributed across those distances, most of the remote reaches of a kingdom should feel sleepy and distant. Good fodder for bandits, sure, but bandits have to get there, and if that farm is the only thing out there, is it really worth it?

It's more likely that if a farm in the hinterlands has a bandit problem, it's of a more homegrown variety. I don't know that that makes things less dangerous for a remote farm when danger strikes, but it does imply that you can probably get away with a few fences and a tight-knit community instead of trying to mount an organized, round the clock defense in most cases.

Hope that helps! :)

Just to play devils advocate and think like an actual bandit. 2 friends and I decide to go full on deviant. We aren’t likely to be able to visit large towns because a large mass of people would be more likely to have at least 1 bounty hunter or form of law enforcement. Depending on the information system someone would likely see through our disguise and report us.

In addition more people means more likely responders when we decide to attack someone. So our targets would be isolated out of the way places. This gives us a better chance to win the fight, plunder as much as our wagon can carry before help arrives and get away to a hideaway base camp in the wilds.

Sure travel time takes away our ability to hit multiple targets in rapid succession. But it allows us time to strip the farm house. Incap the farmer keep an eye on him so when he moves incap him again ect. As a farmer he’s not likely to have anything of real value on his person it would most likely be somewhere in his house or in his livestock/stockpiled foodstuffs.

As we do this and work on survival skills we become better deviants and can then rely on better disguises and eventually move on to more populated areas.

I was thinking the same thing- distance lowers risk for griefers and bandits, not the other way around.

Slow response time (if any) and lots of places to hide.

2/20/2018 2:22:13 AM #62

I think the system is perfect as it is.

that is, it facilitates both sides to play their part.

disc: curzman#7965

2/20/2018 2:51:43 AM #63

Posted By curzman at 8:22 PM - Mon Feb 19 2018

I think the system is perfect as it is.

that is, it facilitates both sides to play their part.

To my knowledge the current system hasn't fully been explained or even decided yet.

2/20/2018 3:56:59 AM #64

I wonder how lethal crossbows will be?

(No, the question is not a non-sequitur.)

2/20/2018 3:59:13 AM #65

Posted By Nugger at 10:50 AM - Tue Feb 20 2018

But its needed, if u dont have anyone beeing a thief, a bandit - a soldier - what ever, u can rule over nothing and the towngaurds will be useless, the bodyguards will be, caravanguards will be, there is to much around the combat and around the "bad guys" to stop or punish them to hard.

Well that's the thing. As the saying goes, without evil there is no good, without good there is no evil. Bandits are good overall. If your county become so safe that you relax having so many guards or maybe just guards in general. It then leaves you open to attack.

Much like war is generally good, on some level. It has pushed tech into new ideas and ways not thought of unless the threat of death was there.

Which is what makes this whole game very interesting to me. So you may come from a peaceful kingdom that hasn't had much inner fighting, has no plans of invading someone else. That will mostly focus their research on other things.

All the while your neighbour has been at war with itself for years. Always having someone trying to rise up for power. Thus they focus their research on the military side of things. Better hope that kingdom never comes together cause now they could have better weapons/armour etc than you. Be just in general more setup for war.

2/20/2018 4:10:14 AM #66

It is better to have good enemies than good friends.

I dimly recall a quote like this from a Gor novel. I'm not sure where John Norman got it from, or exactly what the wording was.

2/20/2018 2:18:47 PM #67

Posted By Nugger at 3:50 PM - Mon Feb 19 2018

If this costs u 15 dollars, its clearly the wrong game for everyone who likes combat - and this would mean this game will not have enough people - the "payment model" is alrdy questionable for alot of people and when ur life is basically over by 10-30 murders, there will be very few who want to play it.

This is waaaaaay off. SbS has never said that players can set higher spirit loss. So 30 murders is 60 days loss of life unless you happen to have a higher multiplier from such things as being a king, duke, count, etc.

2/20/2018 2:46:53 PM #68

I'll be honest, I can't be assed to read every single comment on this thread, but I gotta say; great post. Very thorough. I hope they realize that plenty of people in the community want deviant types to be a real option, that is good for both sides of the alignment, and doesn't let griefers (or a fear of them) ruin deviancy as a playstyle. :)

kypiq

2/21/2018 9:58:22 AM #69

Posted By Snipehunter at 11:41 AM - Mon Feb 19 2018

Posted By Poldano at 05:15 AM - Mon Feb 19 2018

There is a game-mechanics issue I have concerning farmers, which is that farming really cannot be effectively done inside of town walls; the fields are too big but too intrinsically low-value to be worth putting defensive walls around. Watchtowers will be a necessity where PvP is likely. Isolated farms will be a risky endeavor, because the farmers will have to be quite defense-oriented. Villages, hamlets, and isolated taverns will all need to address defenses early on post-launch, because to the best of my knowledge none of these come with Aristocrat-package defensive EP goodies. Perhaps this is why baronies, with their defensive perks, are the nominal farming domains per SBS information.

That's an interesting concern, but if I could offer some advice: Don't underestimate the distances in Elyria. A remote farm likely has more to worry about from wildlife or local banditry than they do a more serious concerted assault or mob. (Unless, of course, they are explicitly targeted, but that's an exception) With travel times what they are and the player base distributed across those distances, most of the remote reaches of a kingdom should feel sleepy and distant. Good fodder for bandits, sure, but bandits have to get there, and if that farm is the only thing out there, is it really worth it?

It's more likely that if a farm in the hinterlands has a bandit problem, it's of a more homegrown variety. I don't know that that makes things less dangerous for a remote farm when danger strikes, but it does imply that you can probably get away with a few fences and a tight-knit community instead of trying to mount an organized, round the clock defense in most cases.

Hope that helps! :)

I shouldn't have used the term "issue", since it suggest that I see a problem in the game. I don't. Thanks for the response nonetheless.

I expect local miscreancy to be the biggest deviant threat in remote areas, as well. As long as fencing isn't too expensive, or can be constructed with low-level skills, there is adequate defense (thinks 1.5-meter-tall sharpened logs, poisoned stakes hidden in ditches, ...). For protection against more determined villains, and perhaps more importantly revenge, well, I guess that's part of the fun.

I suspect that many people are fearing a situation in which deviants don't really have to do anything to survive, but always have access to adequate weapons (thinks raiders in the Fallout series, etc.). If they are indeed as constrained by their survival needs as people who nominally ply a less adventurous trade, then the latter have less to fear if they are reasonably prudent. Of course, if the game matches RL in respect of mischief, it will be the newly-hatched PC descendants of the nice NPC people down the road a few kilometers who get up to the most annoying of actions, just to see what they can get away with and how hard it is.

2/21/2018 11:41:33 AM #70

-quote snip- huge freaking text walls saying the same thing over and over again.

Bottom line upfront: your baseline population for most games, including this MEOW will be casual players. Like it or not, it will happen. Casual players typically hate pvp when when it’s not mutually agreed on and if it does happen, they want stern punishment.

Call them carebear, stupid, whatever! Fact is they will leave the game and tell everyone to stay away. How do you think that helps the game survive? Look at Albion Online, Legends of Aria, Wild Terra, even Ultima Online! and the list keeps going. People get pissed when hours of work goes in the trash and it no longer becomes worth logging in.

You’ll be “hard core” by yourself eventually without a very hard and stern approach to PK, grieving, unsolicited PvP. And to the casual player they are all the same. Even after reading your definitions! They walk out and get killed it is all the same.

2/22/2018 9:40:16 PM #71

with prisons, If they ever exist. They'll become a prison, and the power that no player should have on society or in this game. The whole Idea undermines the very existence of the spirit loss system, just exile the true problem people and black list them from the entire domain or just locally if you don't have support for the higher people in office.

Everything in this game a player does can be seen as a trolling offense. Some one steals your thing in your home? Why would some one do that, that's griefing. Who can ever make this arbitrary line, and how would it even become as such. In sandbox games, sure they can exist will they even be possible to exist? No, not really. There is so many strategies and uncooperative people that people will attempt to make a certain thing come to fruition or their goals.

Would you want the governments to have the ability to stop people from playing for weeks at a time? This would become a serious issue if the power gets into the wrong hands, and I don't even understand ware to begin when it comes to this. Most people you've talked to have every intention of being the benevolent lord. But those people and others that you may have not talked to have plans of domination through any thing possible. One of the strategies in play that would make this easier and more possible is the idea that they can imprison the non-believers. Of course that would have to make the law system very flexible and the punishment would have to be able to be player adjusted.

Back to griefing, I don't even think it's possible to grief in the game, but I also don't think we need to empower those that are in power with things that would be able to actually grief a tyrant given more power would just be able to do almost anything they want if they are able to imprison those that don't follow lock-step with his goals.

2/22/2018 10:08:09 PM #72

Posted By Ironside at 06:41 AM - Wed Feb 21 2018

-snip-

Every open world PvP game deals with the same thing. Casual players simply don't like being attacked when they don't want to be. That's why open world PvP games are niche. CoE is going to be open PvP everywhere and at all times, which immediately establishes itself as niche. On top of that, it has corpse looting. This adds another level of niche. Caspian himself has said that CoE will be niche.

CoE just isn't for everyone. If people think they can play CoE without suffering losses in-game then they are dreaming. SBS wants a certain portion of the population to be criminals. If a "very hard and stern" approach is taken, then there will be very few criminals. That's not what SBS wants.

A very core feature of CoE is that bad things will seek you out and try to ruin your day. These are just a few of the things off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more things to worry about.

• Starving wildlife

• Criminal players

• Lich accompanied by an army of undead

• Tribe of vampires trying to steal your soul

• Sea monsters destroying ships and causing permadeath

• Landslide destroying entire towns

• Earthquake destroying your house

• Flood destroying your crops

• Volcano erupting and destroying half or more of the main continent and causing permadeath

• Kingdoms seeking to steal resources

• Fantastical disasters that are part of the 10-year story

The bottom line being that most players, if not all of them will suffer losses of some kind or another at some point. It's more likely that it will be something other than a player that causes these losses.

My point? That taking a "very hard and stern" approach towards criminals won't stop casual players, or anyone else, from being killed and suffering losses.

2/23/2018 4:37:38 AM #73

Posted By Ironside at 10:41 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

Bottom line upfront: your baseline population for most games, including this MEOW will be casual players. Like it or not, it will happen. Casual players typically hate pvp when when it’s not mutually agreed on and if it does happen, they want stern punishment.

If those types are players were that worried about getting killed/robbed etc. They wouldn't bother with CoE from the get go.

But then I never thought casual players hate pvp. Most hate when they have zero chance aka max level camping them until the end of time.

Of course no one can run around without having to worry about anything either. While safety able to log off and basically hide. So I can't really see pve type players complaining.

2/23/2018 7:13:26 AM #74

Posted By Ironside at 9:41 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

>

First off: In fairness, pro-conflict players aren't the only ones writing walls of text on the subject. I've answered more walls than I've made, personally.

Second: Depending on how you define casual players, most of the casual population will in all likelihood never encounter player conflict (or even wilderness conflict, for that matter) without going looking for it. CoE offers something that very few games - most of them not MMOs - provide: Total freedom of choice in how you want to play. In the MMOs you're talking about, combat is the staple mechanic of play. Crafting, commerce, questing - these things are all secondary, and built around, the combat mechanic. Raids. World bosses. Event content. It's all fighting. Nothing else is as developed as combat is in most MMOs because people generally like beating stuff up - which results in half-assed crafting, commerce, questing and other world systems. CoE's going to have all of those fleshed out, and more.

Traders may encounter bandits. Farmers may encounter bandits, or soldiers from enemy kingdoms. The odds of being regularly terrorised, however, are fairly low when one considers the countermeasures that are already in place. But the significant majority of the non-conflict population (PvE and PvP labels are eventually going to become redundant in this game as primary identifiers) will never see a hostile player. They'll be concentrated in the cities and developed towns with established garrisons and security infrastructure.

Third: Consequences. See my first post in the thread, somewhere around page 3-4.

Atop all else, there's no way to tell if this will even be an issue until there's something to play.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

2/23/2018 6:13:30 PM #75

Posted By Wolfguarde at 01:13 AM - Fri Feb 23 2018

Posted By Ironside at 9:41 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

>

First off: In fairness, pro-conflict players aren't the only ones writing walls of text on the subject. I've answered more walls than I've made, personally.

Second: Depending on how you define casual players, most of the casual population will in all likelihood never encounter player conflict (or even wilderness conflict, for that matter) without going looking for it. CoE offers something that very few games - most of them not MMOs - provide: Total freedom of choice in how you want to play. In the MMOs you're talking about, combat is the staple mechanic of play. Crafting, commerce, questing - these things are all secondary, and built around, the combat mechanic. Raids. World bosses. Event content. It's all fighting. Nothing else is as developed as combat is in most MMOs because people generally like beating stuff up - which results in half-assed crafting, commerce, questing and other world systems. CoE's going to have all of those fleshed out, and more.

Traders may encounter bandits. Farmers may encounter bandits, or soldiers from enemy kingdoms. The odds of being regularly terrorised, however, are fairly low when one considers the countermeasures that are already in place. But the significant majority of the non-conflict population (PvE and PvP labels are eventually going to become redundant in this game as primary identifiers) will never see a hostile player. They'll be concentrated in the cities and developed towns with established garrisons and security infrastructure.

Third: Consequences. See my first post in the thread, somewhere around page 3-4.

Atop all else, there's no way to tell if this will even be an issue until there's something to play.

While good countermeasures can make them less common, I don't think murderhobos will be incredibly rare either- new players who don't know how mechanics work will always do stupid things, and salty players will sperg out either on their main or on an alt.

It's to be expected and should have measures in place to discourage it, but I also believe it's silly how some people in this thread seem to think it will be and should be a regular occurrence.