COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Trolls, Griefers, and Deviants.

This post is made in an effort to define the differences between trolls, griefers, and deviants, and address them individually. I know there are several similar posts already, but with the nature of this post being different, I thought it best that it was done in a fresh thread of it's own, or maybe I just think I can do it better than others. Who knows.(trololol?)

Oh, btw, there's 2,277 words and no real TL:DR.

First let me establish some information that is relevant to the topic and not everyone seems to be aware of.

• Prisons: As of right now, they are not a thing. However, SBS has said they will add prisons if they can come up with a way to "play the prison game". With so much uproar over the topic, I'm positive they are looking for a way to implement it.

• Punishment for Crimes: The last mention of a punishment for murder was 2days of spirit loss. The same amount of loss that any player would have for suffering a coup de grace. Due to popular request, the punishment severity will very likely be in the hands of nobility, though I don't know of SBS having confirmed that yet. Hopefully SBS will impose a limit to the extent of the punishment. Whatever the amount of spirit lost may be, it will be multiplied based upon your fame/infamy.

• Spirit Loss Multiplier: When you suffer a coup de grace, or when convicted of a crime the amount of spirit you lose is multiplied based on your fame. The levels of fame are: unknown(gentry), notable(city council), prominent(mayor), famous(magistrate/baron), renowned(count), exalted(duke), and legendary(king). The multipliers are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x respectively.

Why do I bring up this information? Because people disregard spirit loss entirely as a proper punishment for deviant behavior, regardless of griefing. They are also always insisting on prisons and an absurd duration in prison.

I'll quickly detail how severe the spirit loss can get. Let's say someone murdered 10 people and was caught and convicted of all 10 murders. Okay, 20 days spirit loss as a base. Were they well known before this for some reason? Did killing 10 people increase their infamy? Let's say they are 'prominent', as well known as the local mayor. That's a 2x multiplier. So were up to 40days of spirit loss. That's 40 off of the 356days you get for a spark(average). Seems pretty decent.

Not enough? Maybe players control the punishment and set it to 4 days spirit loss for murder. Now it's 80 days play loss for 10 murders. We know players would set it even higher if possible. So, 8 days spirit loss puts it at 160 day loss for 10 murders. Damn. That's steep. Far too much because the risk for deviant players is far too high. Only a handful of deviants would put up with that. That's not what SBS wants.

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though. A griefer? Following the misconception of what people think a griefer could do, let's say they commit 40 murders and are caught. They could be caught after 2-3 murders, but the end result is still the same for 40 murders. 2 days spirit loss, 80 days lost. 4 days spirit loss, 160 days lost. 8 days spirit loss, 320 days lost. Boom. Permadead griefer(probably). Time to buy another spark.

For the sake of simplicity and the fact that people likely have their own definitions of what trolling and griefing is, I will use Wikipedia to define griefing and trolling.

Despite griefing and trolling being completely different things they are often lumped together as a single negative entity. I will hold to this trend and treat them both as 'griefers' for the sake of this discussion.

• Griefer Wikipedia: A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and angers other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways. A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals. This creates a strong division between griefing and cheating, since cheating is done with intent of winning the game and thus is discouraged by in-game penalties.

• Deviant: In the case of CoE, and for the sake of this discussion, a deviant is a player that uses the skills available in the deviant skill set to further their own goals and/or 'mission'/contract objectives at the cost of other players. Some example goals/objectives and ways to complete them are acquiring secret documents via theft, acquiring funds via theft, acquiring materials/goods/equipment via theft, sabotaging an economy via theft/destruction/murder, driving people from their land via theft/destruction/murder. Note that murder may sometimes be required for theft.

Now that I've defined griefers and deviants for the sake of this discussion, lets move onto why deviants shouldn't be punished to the extent that deviancy becomes largely extinct.

First off, why have deviant abilities in the game at all if they aren't intended for use. If they didn't want people to be concerned with being robbed or murdered then they would just disable the ability to do so entirely. I think this solidly proves that SBS fully intends for a portion of the population to be deviant.

My reasoning for why they would want such a thing is that they want players to feel the risk of potentially losing things that you worked hard for. Trust me, this is a good thing in gaming. A sense of potential loss increases the value of any gain and successful maintenance of said gain. Besides the simple fact that they need bad guys and want to avoid adding artificial content to the game as much as possible. cough liches and vampires cough

What weight and value does being 'good' even have if you never had the choice of being bad? Being good because it's the only option destroys any value it has. You only notice the light because there is darkness.

Next let's address what the requirements to be able to grief someone are. Why does this matter? Because the effort required to grief is the best deterrent possible. The concept of cost/reward applies to griefers as well.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that any settlement above a basic farming town, or maybe a mining town has a couple guards, or at least a local militia. Because they should. If they don't then the Duke and/or Baron aren't doing their jobs. Let's also make the assumption that the majority of griefers will/would work alone. There will be groups and I will address that specifically later, but for the sake of this discussion and my argument we'll assume they are solo. I would like to make another assumption, but I know it won't be accepted, so I'll save it for later.

So, because of these assumptions we can rule out any griefing in a town that has guards because they should be able handle it, and if someone goes on a random rampage it won't last long. Just think of it in the terms of that person having a mental breakdown or being mentally unstable instead of a griefer. Kind of how you would IRL.

Since we've ruled out griefing in cities because of guards we can also rule out solo-griefing outside of towns IF you have hired guards. For example, a trading caravan, traveling merchant, or a goods shipment. We won't assume that you have hired guards though, we'll address that later.

• Preparation. They will not be able to just jump into a new character and go kill someone. It's highly unlikely that a child will be able to best an adult in combat. So they will need a character of appropriate age. They then need the equipment to attack you. A weapon and simple armor(They have to pay for these somehow). They need a backpack(or mount with saddlebags) with food and water.(You won't last an hour without food and water outside of town) If they plan to chase any player down they will need to have a mount of some kind. A player won't be able to catch a carriage on foot. The mount will need saddlebags to carry anything they may steal. They will need skills in mounted combat if you are mounted as well(or they will need to disable your mount). They will need to do this every time they are caught or start a new character.

After the preparation for griefing comes the actual act of griefing, part of that being combat, another part being finding a target to grief.

• Combat difficulty. Firstly, if they wear heavy armor and are on foot you can likely outrun them. Secondly, player skill plays an incredibly massive role in combat. Even if they outclass you completely, they won't get away unscathed unless you are complete garbage at combat or unarmed. There are no instant heal mechanics(Not including potential talents). After they are injured they have to wait to recover, or suffer a major disadvantage during their next engagement. If you aren't on foot, then most likely any non-standard mount could kick their ass. I can see a trison easily taking out 2-3 players that aren't well equipped and practiced at combat with a trison. Even an ursaphant won't go down easy.

• Finding a Target: This is both simple and difficult. Sure you could likely pick any random person in a caravan to grief and go for it. This increases the risk of failure to grief dramatically though. You could alternatively put effort into finding a target you know isn't equipped for self defense and doesn't have a guard. The majority of griefers want to put in as little effort as possible, so it's likely they will just attack randomly. This coincides with increasing the effort to grief being a valid deterrent to griefing.

Remember that assumption I wanted to make earlier, but saved for later? Were going to address that now as well as hiring guards to protect you.

Before we dive into that though, let's quickly mention what threats, other than players, there are when outside of towns. Wildlife(pteroguins, and canis rabbits), NPC bandits, and NPC evils(vampires, liches, and potentially daemons) Those are some pretty serious threats.

Now to that assumption I mentioned. Everyone not in a heavily guarded city should carry a simple weapon. I would like to assume that everyone is aware enough to do so. You never know when you might need to defend yourself. Those threats I mentioned could just as easily enter into an unguarded town. Sure, you won't stand a chance against a group of NPC bandits on your own, but if all the people in your small town are armed and band together they could make the bandits think twice about raiding you. Sadly I know that people just aren't going to do that until they are forced to by unfortunate events. This leads into my final bullet point(maybe? you hope? We'll see :P ).

• Stupidity, Foolishness, and Naivete. Leaving a town unprotected, on foot, and unprepared for combat is stupid at best. If you are traveling from one town to another without being prepared then you are asking to be griefed/robbed. If you have any cargo of significant value then you need to hire a couple of guards at the least. If you don't, then you are simply stupid. Can't afford a guard? Blame yourself for spending all your funds elsewhere. Trading your product isn't profitable enough to afford a guard? Then why are you trading that product?

Now for my last topic. How the system is okay as it is, if not a little too harsh on deviant players, but that's okay. We'll roll with it.

I lied, time for another bullet point, just because I can.

• Cost and Reward: Whatever you want to call it, cost/benefit, effort/reward, it's all the same thing. Deviants and griefers have roughly the same level of effort required for simple highway robbery. A significantly larger effort is required for the more complex deviant tasks. This cost and reward system is why I think everything will be okay. There's a strong enough cost to prevent the majority of griefers from... griefing. For the rest, SBS has given us the means to defend ourselves. Protect yourself at all times. What about the super hardcore griefers? Well, if someone hacks the game and ruins your day, then that's too bad. That's how I look at the fringe hardcore griefers. The ones that move in a group and have a large organization backing them and providing them equipment. You literally cannot punish griefers anymore without the collateral of punishing deviants as well. Fear not though. This is where your community steps in. It is the job of the local Baron or Duke to hunt down and root out groups like this. They must protect their citizens. If they don't, you need to move.

To summarize, I believe that the effort required to grief will deter the majority of griefers, but not all the serious deviants. Not only will it deter them, but SBS has provided every tool necessary to defend yourself against both griefers and deviants. It's up to you to make the effort required to do so. I hope there's enough value in protecting yourself to outweigh the cost. winky face

All input is welcome! Please don't hesitate to comment!

2/14/2018 7:11:06 PM #1

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though.

Why would that be insane? At 10 murders - you're a serial killer. You'd be looking at capital punishment or permanent incarceration in any sane society, actually.

Also you made the assumption that the player doing the killing would be about as well known as a mayor. This is probably not a remotely realistic assumption. Typically, this form of activity would be committed by unknown and entirely anonymous characters, so the spirit loss multipliers linked to fame really do not apply.

Bottom line is this. If there is no lock up mechanic to stop repeat killers, then the world is functionally being built for griefing. Part of the challenge to being a killer - and thus going against known, established and enforced rules of civil society - is to not get caught because when you do, you know it's curtains for you. If this is too much of a punishment in your opinion, then I submit that you're really just interested in wrecking other people's gameplay. It's not about playing the role of the character.

p.s. Keep in mind that part of what makes CoE so unique and different than every other MMO out there is that the world you are playing in will actually be OWNED AND GOVERNED by other players, people who have in many cases spent thousands of dollars to assume those roles (at least at the outset). So I think that really puts a cap on the kind of fun you think you are entitled to as a "serial killer" or whatever for the $25 spark you bought.

2/14/2018 7:27:51 PM #2

No matter how many times someone explains what the difference between deviant and griefer is people will have a different definition of it when an incidence occurs...

If you have a player trying to complete a task and he is just getting ganked repeatedly by the same guy..The player is going to call the killer a griefer..The killer could be trying to prevent the player from getting to resources but to the player the killer is blocking content from him..That feeling is just going to grow more and more especially if the player is not receiving help..

For me, this comes back the point, we should spend more energy on teaching people how to protect themselves(which we can't at the moment, at least not in detail)..If someone is being killed repeatedly they won't care what the difference between deviant and griefer is..

2/14/2018 7:30:55 PM #3

Posted By Hieronymus at 2:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Bottom line is this. If there is no lock up mechanic to stop repeat killers, then the world is functionally being built for griefing. Part of the challenge to being a killer - and thus going against known, established and enforced rules of civil society - is to not get caught because when you do, you know it's curtains for you. If this is too much of a punishment in your opinion, then I submit that you're really just interested in wrecking other people's gameplay. It's not about playing the role of the character.

If there is a lockup mechanic, you're essentially letting players ban other players for weeks at a time- for playing the game the way its intended to be played. That, to me, is absolutely unacceptable. The victim of a murderer has to spirit walk, then can continue to play the game as normal, minus two days at the end. Why shouldn't it be the same for the convicted, albeit with a slightly larger penalty at the end of their life?

p.s. Keep in mind part of what makes CoE so unique and different than every other MMO is that everything you OWN and GOVERN can be taken away from you, regardless of whether or not you paid thousands of dollars.

2/14/2018 7:39:09 PM #4

Posted By Hieronymus at 4:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though.

Why would that be insane? At 10 murders - you're a serial killer. You'd be looking at capital punishment or permanent incarceration in any sane society, actually.

Also you made the assumption that the player doing the killing would be about as well known as a mayor. This is probably not a remotely realistic assumption. Typically, this form of activity would be committed by unknown and entirely anonymous characters, so the spirit loss multipliers linked to fame really do not apply.

p.s. Keep in mind that part of what makes CoE so unique and different than every other MMO out there is that the world you are playing in will actually be OWNED AND GOVERNED by other players, people who have in many cases spent thousands of dollars to assume those roles (at least at the outset). So I think that really puts a cap on the kind of fun you think you are entitled to as a "serial killer" or whatever.

I couple points to make First, if you just kill a noble, we you grab his own successor as his next player, so he doesn't lose his position of power, and his money. Also, there's also infamy that your "identity" gets by doing deviant things, the identity gets infamous and when that identity its linked to you, you get the infamy and the multiplier. A serial killer is surely known as much as the mayor in any given town. And a coup de "grass" just takes out 2 days, not all your life, its not a good comparison, and killing gentry its not a crime great enough to ensue a permadeath in my opinion as they lose so little, and if you kill a lot, you get infamous and the punishment grows

Are you a fan of CoE but can't afford a package? Then follow this link here and learn how you could get a charity package for FREE from your fellow elyrians. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22710/elyrian-assistance-program

-The only limits are the ones that we as a community set for ourselves.-

2/14/2018 7:56:01 PM #5

I like how thorough your explanation is Muffin. +1

The differences of griefers and deviants are very unique to the story that SbS is creating. Deviants may be just simply following a storyline, that was given to them by the Soulborn Engine. The same way there will be NPC that have their own desires to steal something or kill someone, or take someone’s title.

It will be very amusing to say the least.

2/14/2018 7:57:35 PM #6

Posted By Hieronymus at 2:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

-snip-

Sure, getting locked up makes sense IRL. Whether being locked up for your entire life is appropriate or not is an entirely different topic.

This is a game though. What it seems you would like to do is effectively delete someones character for raiding a village and getting caught. Effectively banning a character for an extended period of time or deleting them outright is not an appropriate punishment for murder in the confines of the game. The loss when murdered is no where near that substantial unless you are famous, Such as a king or duke. In which case the punishment would be multiplied because your fame would be absurd if you killed a king.

Imagine this. Bandit raids a village, kills 10 people in the process, gets caught and convicted, then poof character gone. You shouldn't have played the game as it was intended. Too bad. Is that really what you want to do?

You seem to completely overlook the entire point that SBS wants these things to happen. So they can't punish them so severely as to make it not worth doing.

Punishment isn't part of the difficulty. It's just part of the result of having failed. All of the deterrent should be in the difficulty of the process of committing crimes. Not that there shouldn't be a penalty for committing crimes, just that the penalty shouldn't be the main reason, much less the sole reason that no one commits crimes.

Edit: SBS is providing all the tools needed to prevent the crimes from happening. They even give you tools to catch the criminal after they successfully committed a crime. They don't need to also allow you to determine the punishment. Players on both sides of the argument are usually incredibly biased. Hopefully SBS can be as impartial as possible and decide on something fair.(I do actually think players should determine the consequences of breaking the laws. With limits of course.)

If the penalty of committing crimes is substantial, Then the gains to being a deviant must be equally substantial.

Assuming that I want to wreck other peoples gameplay just because I disagree with you is an ignorant mistake on your part.

2/14/2018 11:30:01 PM #7

I think the one thing these conversations on this subject seem to overlook is that unlike other MMOs where the studio is creating the world and the rules within that world SBS is trying to create a sandbox for the players to set their own rules and play their own way. Now I have no idea how much control ultimately players will have but it just strikes me as silly to come at this discussion with a sense of entitlement the equivalent of "I paid to play so I should have the right to do whatever I want" - it just doesn't work.

With respect to meta abuse I think that cuts both ways. You can be griefed by deviants as well as the people putting you in prison. From what snipehunter said in another thread there will be some level of moderation by the studio but probably reserved for the most egregious situations.

2/15/2018 12:06:35 AM #8

I can see you put a lot of thought into this. I respect that. You've made some good points, and had good advice for specific situations. However, I feel like a lot of your post is based on supposition. I'd like to present you with a different viewpoint and ask your opinion.

Posted By Fudgemuffinator at

(...) Not enough? Maybe players control the punishment and set it to 4 days (...) We know players would set it even higher if possible. So, 8 days (...)

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though. (...) for 40 murders. (...) 320 days lost. Boom. Permadead griefer(probably).

This whole section is not based on any fact. While I understand you are attempting to show how big the numbers could get, it's all just "made-up".

First off, why have deviant abilities in the game at all if they aren't intended for use (...) I think this solidly proves that SBS fully intends for a portion of the population to be deviant.

I don't think anyone is debating having deviants in the game. In fact I'm sure many people are looking forward to it.

Next let's address what the requirements to be able to grief someone are. (...)

• Preparation (...)(You won't last an hour without food and water outside of town)

Actually SBS has said you will probably only need to eat/drink once maybe twice per day.

After the preparation for griefing comes the actual act of griefing, part of that being combat, another part being finding a target to grief.

You make several good points here with regard to skill and tactics. However you make some assumptions as well. For example not all tribes can ride a Trison or Ursaphant.

• Finding a Target: This is both simple and difficult.

You also make a good point here in that trade caravan should have a guard along with them.

NPC bandits, and NPC evils(vampires, liches, and potentially daemons) Those are some pretty serious threats.

These fantasy NPC entities do not exist in the game. While becoming a Lich is possible by players, it's going to be a very involved process.

(...) Everyone not in a heavily guarded city should carry a simple weapon. (...)

• Stupidity, Foolishness, and Naivete. Leaving a town unprotected, on foot, and unprepared for combat is stupid at best. If you are traveling from one town to another without being prepared then you are asking to be griefed/robbed. If you have any cargo of significant value then you need to hire a couple of guards at the least. (...)

Being prepared to travel is great advice, but you seem to only be considering trade routes. You are not considering situations like the cartographer, the explorer, the wild animal tamer, the miner, the lumberjack and many other reasons you would leave town. Of course hiring a guard or two is always a great idea but isn't always feasible. And then there are the farmers. If every farmer has to have guards on duty 24/7 do you know how much that's going to drive up the price of everything?

But let's say I followed your advice and (being a farmer) was in the field and had a weapon with me. If someone sneaks up and attacks me well... First, does the game automatically switch to the equipped weapon? If not, is there a hotkey for it? If I have to open my inventory pane and drag my hoe out and my sword in, well that certainly changes things doesn't it? Say I put up a good fight but the attacker bests me.

Well now did they incap me or coup de grace? Since there is no global chat in the game, hopefully I am (or can get) on discord with members of the nearest settlement. If its a griefer and they are just camping me to incap / coup de grace me over and over what do I do? And finally under the current system even if the griefer is caught, there is no time restraint of any kind for crime. So they can immediately return to my location and begin griefing me again. Maybe I'll have had time to hire a guard and replace the gear he took off me, maybe not?

To summarize, I believe that the effort required to grief will deter the majority of griefers, but not all the serious deviants.

I think you are under-appreciating that "Some people just want to watch the world burn"

Why do I bring up this information? Because people disregard spirit loss entirely as a proper punishment for deviant behavior, regardless of griefing. They are also always insisting on prisons and an absurd duration in prison.

This is why we want to have a discussion about what direction to take with crime and punishment. I'm not saying it should be all spirit loss or all time served, but hopefully SBS can take the points raised in the conversation and implement a fair game mechanic. Who knows maybe they will review everything and decide what they have in place is good enough *shrug.

2/15/2018 12:12:30 AM #9

Posted By Hieronymus at 03:11 AM - Thu Feb 15 2018

Part of the challenge to being a killer - and thus going against known, established and enforced rules of civil society - is to not get caught because when you do, you know it's curtains for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is not your average "Cookie Cutter" MMO!! This is what I would describe as a "life simulator", therefore there is a significant degree of realism,

If you are a murder in reality, you suffer severe punishment, therefore in CoE you will face the same...

Moral of the story, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime and if you do the crime don't get caught.

Plan it well! Leave no trace. Leave no witness.

Anyone who thinks they are just going to run around randomly killing people and looting in CoE, doesn't understand what this game is about, deserves the harsh penalties and really should just go play something like WoW.

2/15/2018 12:19:33 AM #10

I was under the impression that if you died it had consequence, now you can die everyday for 3.75 months until you rebuy a spark of life lol!

"Whats normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.”

2/15/2018 1:29:57 AM #11

Posted By Devilkyn at 7:06 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

I can see you put a lot of thought into this. I respect that. You've made some good points, and had good advice for specific situations. However, I feel like a lot of your post is based on supposition. I'd like to present you with a different viewpoint and ask your opinion.

Posted By Fudgemuffinator at

(...) Not enough? Maybe players control the punishment and set it to 4 days (...) We know players would set it even higher if possible. So, 8 days (...)

Potentially half a spark for 10 murders... that would be insane. Let's take it a step further though. (...) for 40 murders. (...) 320 days lost. Boom. Permadead griefer(probably).

This whole section is not based on any fact. While I understand you are attempting to show how big the numbers could get, it's all just "made-up".

I admit yes, there is some assumption, however the 2 days penalty for murder was information from SBS early on. And with regards to players being able to determine the spirit loss. I mention that because that's what a lot of people ask for. So I provide the result if they choose specific values.

The entire reason I do this is just to bring into perspective just how much spirit can be lost given those 2 scenarios. Nothing more.

First off, why have deviant abilities in the game at all if they aren't intended for use (...) I think this solidly proves that SBS fully intends for a portion of the population to be deviant.

I don't think anyone is debating having deviants in the game. In fact I'm sure many people are looking forward to it.

This is solely to put a bit of a damper on those who want to respond to deviant play with extreme punishments. I've seen more than a few people want to punish 1-time murderers with permadeath.

Next let's address what the requirements to be able to grief someone are. (...)

• Preparation (...)(You won't last an hour without food and water outside of town)

Actually SBS has said you will probably only need to eat/drink once maybe twice per day.

The eating and drinking feature is supposed to be mostly automated as long as you have the rations on hand. With that being said, how often is once or twice per day? Once or twice per real life day, Or Elyrian day? 1 week irl is a year in Elyria. I take it as eating once or twice per daylight cycle in-game. And I believe the daylight cycles were something like 1hr 40m daytime and 1hr 20m night time? I can't remember, but that one is certainly up in the air without an official source. I'll concede that point for now.

You make several good points here with regard to skill and tactics. However you make some assumptions as well. For example not all tribes can ride a Trison or Ursaphant.

I assume that other tribes will have a Trison and Ursaphant equivalent. The largest assumption I make here is that those equivalents will be non-trivial physically.

• Finding a Target: This is both simple and difficult.

You also make a good point here in that trade caravan should have a guard along with them.

NPC bandits, and NPC evils(vampires, liches, and potentially daemons) Those are some pretty serious threats.

These fantasy NPC entities do not exist in the game. While becoming a Lich is possible by players, it's going to be a very involved process.

No one ever said that it's impossible for NPC's to become liches. There are in-fact going to be NPC vampires. Daemons... we have no information on, so I threw them in as a possibility. I was just expanding the sample size beyond simple bandits and wildlife. Maybe exaggerating a bit, but only to imply the very real danger that unguarded areas are meant to impose by SBS's own words.

(...) Everyone not in a heavily guarded city should carry a simple weapon. (...)

• Stupidity, Foolishness, and Naivete. Leaving a town unprotected, on foot, and unprepared for combat is stupid at best. If you are traveling from one town to another without being prepared then you are asking to be griefed/robbed. If you have any cargo of significant value then you need to hire a couple of guards at the least. (...)

Being prepared to travel is great advice, but you seem to only be considering trade routes. You are not considering situations like the cartographer, the explorer, the wild animal tamer, the miner, the lumberjack and many other reasons you would leave town. Of course hiring a guard or two is always a great idea but isn't always feasible. And then there are the farmers. If every farmer has to have guards on duty 24/7 do you know how much that's going to drive up the price of everything?

As for cartographers, explorers, and wild animal tamers. These are some of the most dangerous jobs, regardless of griefers, navigating the wild is far more of a threat. If you are killed out in the wilds, regardless of any penalty that there might be for the crime. It won't be able to be enforced because there will be no evidence or witnesses. Thus my neglecting them. I only talk about griefing in more developed/frequently traveled areas because the 'danger zones' are irrelevant when discussing griefing.

As for miners and lumberjacks. If you head off on your own into the wild to seek more rare lumber or minerals then you are adopting and accepting the added risk of being away from civilization. I say this because any large source of ore and lumber should be guarded by the local Baron or Duke.

Common citizens shouldn't have to hire guards. The only time you should hire guards is when you know you are at increased risk. Either you have assassins after you, or you are leaving town. As for farmers? If it's not feasible for the Baron or Duke to provide protect for the entire territory, then there are other ways, like watch posts and guards in key areas.

But let's say I followed your advice and (being a farmer) was in the field and had a weapon with me. If someone sneaks up and attacks me well... First, does the game automatically switch to the equipped weapon? If not, is there a hotkey for it? If I have to open my inventory pane and drag my hoe out and my sword in, well that certainly changes things doesn't it? Say I put up a good fight but the attacker bests me.

In the end, no matter what penalties you may impose on crimes, they are completely irrelevant if the criminal isn't caught in a reasonable amount of time. Eventually the crime 'dissipates'. So, in the end, there's nothing stopping anyone from sneaking up on you and stabbing you in the back while you are farming. They could then loot you and whatever is nearby, then disappear without fear of reprisal.

Well now did they incap me or coup de grace? Since there is no global chat in the game, hopefully I am (or can get) on discord with members of the nearest settlement. If its a griefer and they are just camping me to incap / coup de grace me over and over what do I do? And finally under the current system even if the griefer is caught, there is no time restraint of any kind for crime. So they can immediately return to my location and begin griefing me again. Maybe I'll have had time to hire a guard and replace the gear he took off me, maybe not?

You definitely need to report crimes or nothing will be done to stop them in the future. On the topic of camping though. It's not really feasible to corpse camp someone. When you respawn you don't respawn at your corpse. You respawn 'nearby' and nearby is a very loose term. SBS has said it could be well out of sight. Designed this way specifically for preventing the scenario of being camped.

However you can be incapacitated and when you wake up, you will be right where you were when you went down. They could then just down you again and repeat until they are satisfied. There's really nothing to do about this other than prevent it from happening by some means, or reporting the player. Because as I said previously, if they aren't caught, then they won't suffer a penalty.

To summarize, I believe that the effort required to grief will deter the majority of griefers, but not all the serious deviants.

I think you are under-appreciating that "Some people just want to watch the world burn"

I actually addressed that somewhat.

"What about the super hardcore griefers? Well, if someone hacks the game and ruins your day, then that's too bad. That's how I look at the fringe hardcore griefers. The ones that move in a group and have a large organization backing them and providing them equipment. You literally cannot punish griefers anymore without the collateral of punishing deviants as well. Fear not though. This is where your community steps in. It is the job of the local Baron or Duke to hunt down and root out groups like this. They must protect their citizens. If they don't, you need to move."

This is why we want to have a discussion about what direction to take with crime and punishment. I'm not saying it should be all spirit loss or all time served, but hopefully SBS can take the points raised in the conversation and implement a fair game mechanic. Who knows maybe they will review everything and decide what they have in place is good enough *shrug.

Hopefully. I'm confident that SBS will take a reasonable approach. My worry and expectation is that it won't be strict enough for non-deviants. So really, my main goal is to desensitize people to the idea of less strict punishments and try to push people to preventive measures as opposed to reactive.

Honestly, it's possible that more deviants will suffer from post-crime punishments than griefers. So increasing the punishment may actually deter deviants more than it would griefers. To add to that, griefers don't really care about their own losses, while deviants do, no?

Thanks for the feedback! :D I look forward to more back and forth!

2/15/2018 4:38:30 AM #12

In my opinion, spirit loss is the answer for griefing, but at least with the numbers you described (though as Hieronymus said, a griefer will be unknown) the penalty seems like a joke.

Petty crimes should have the light penalties, there's no reason that it shouldn't be difficult and costly to be a serial killer. Especially when there's no clear reason to be one. Even if you're just trying to block a player, you can incapacitate them, not CdG them.

2/15/2018 5:46:42 AM #13

There is little to add, but one thing should be pointed out. I believe it is SBS's intent, and I believe that player governments should enforce, increasing the penalty per crime for repeat criminals. A murder, for example, might only rate a loss of 2 RL days of life (0.55% of an average playing life span). Compounding that as a result of infamy is already in-game. There is nothing preventing a player government from adding a multiple on top of the infamy multiple, except a game limit on maximum punishments.

2/15/2018 6:15:09 AM #14

I've iterated this problem with letting title holders make their own laws before, but I feel like this thread addresses that huge grievance I have.

I don't have as much issue with the player killing aspect being harshly punished, but I hardly think a mayor should decide that I lose a fourth of my playing time because I nicked his bowl and his town has harsh rules on bowl theft.

Not only that, I recall a Q&A where the devs stated that framing was possible. I don't know about you, but I'd be smoking out of my ears if I found out some corrupt players had convicted me of assault I took no part in just because they forged evidence.

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

2/15/2018 7:04:35 AM #15

Forensics is looking better and better to me, as a career.