COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Archer

i really enjoy the Archer way of playing will there be a Knight Archer?

1/25/2018 7:43:14 AM #1

There aren't any set Classes, so you can do whatever you want.

1/25/2018 8:40:12 AM #2

Horse archery is something that is notoriously hard for MMOs to balance because they tend to be capable of kiting an opponent forever, which is actually really boring for everyone in the end. We'll see if mounted archery is a thing - but for balance reasons, it might not be. Indeed archery engagement ranges in MMOs tend to be very short as well for balance reasons, we'll see how that works out too - all things that will very likely be tested and balanced in Beta.

Link to my story

1/25/2018 10:17:58 AM #3

Posted By Lady Grace at 4:40 PM - Thu Jan 25 2018

Horse archery is something that is notoriously hard for MMOs to balance because they tend to be capable of kiting an opponent forever, which is actually really boring for everyone in the end. We'll see if mounted archery is a thing - but for balance reasons, it might not be. Indeed archery engagement ranges in MMOs tend to be very short as well for balance reasons, we'll see how that works out too - all things that will very likely be tested and balanced in Beta.

You could always carry a spare Throwing Axe with you, one clean hit to either the Horses Head or Legs and they're down.

1/25/2018 10:38:44 AM #4

Posted By Lady Grace at 7:40 PM - Thu Jan 25 2018

Horse archery is something that is notoriously hard for MMOs to balance because they tend to be capable of kiting an opponent forever.

Wouldn't worry about that so much here. Not like you have unlimited ammo like most games. Which makes me wonder how many arrows one can carry in general.

1/25/2018 12:37:51 PM #5

Posted By Gunnlang at 04:38 AM - Thu Jan 25 2018

Horse archery is something that is notoriously hard for MMOs to balance because they tend to be capable of kiting an opponent forever.

Wouldn't worry about that so much here. Not like you have unlimited ammo like most games. Which makes me wonder how many arrows one can carry in general.

And there is no tab targeting or quick swiveling around like you're some kind of turret. And as you noted, the mount can be damaged and killed.

1/25/2018 12:54:25 PM #6

Posted By Kaynadin at 07:37 AM - Thu Jan 25 2018

Posted By Gunnlang at 04:38 AM - Thu Jan 25 2018

And there is no tab targeting or quick swiveling around like you're some kind of turret. And as you noted, the mount can be damaged and killed.

Not to mention that since combat is player skill based. So, if mounts rock or bounce it could be very difficult to actually hit something until you became a true master.

Alt text - can be left blank

1/25/2018 1:10:02 PM #7

The classic (quite literally) where you ride to a good spot, dismount, fire your bow, then jump on and ride off? That should certainly work :)

As the replies above show ... there are a lot of "if's" around mounted archery. We'll see!

Link to my story

1/25/2018 5:44:37 PM #8

I guess we will have to wait till the Devs get around to Mounted Combat. While a melee combat seems very applicable a mounted archer seems to have many negatives associated with it. Perhaps you can heel you horse to a perfect stand still, no neck shake or stomp, then perhaps you can fire off one or two arrows before the horse moves. So where it might be possible I am not sure how effective it will be over the long haul.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/26/2018 8:36:29 AM #9

Mounted archery is probably one of those things that would take several lifetimes to excel in, unless one specifically started in a tribe that considered it a basic skill. Maybe the Waerd will be such a tribe. So far, SBS has been most detailed about European-derived combat skills, and mounted archery is not one of those.

Nonetheless, if a skill exists, someone British will be involved in its practice & preservation: https://www.facebook.com/events/211935495878403/

1/26/2018 7:20:50 PM #10

In one of my lives ill be a carpenter, looking forward to making bows, arrows, archery targets and fight dummys. Don't think ill be shooting any apples off heads though. Customised arrows with colour coded feathers for the posh toffs could be viable sales materials.

'Game over man,...game over.'

1/29/2018 8:44:42 PM #11

Yes, you can be an Archer. What that means is yet to be determined by in-game mechanics. I know they want it to have more realism than traditional MMO's: aka longer shots, wind account, arc, etc.

The Akashic Records

2/7/2018 11:06:50 PM #12

I wonder if things like deer and rabbits will be killed in one good places arrow or if they will take artificially high amounts of attacks. I would love to see all deer flee if you get close making it almost impossible to kill a deer with a sword or axe.

2/12/2018 3:39:26 AM #13

Complex mounted combat will likely not make it in at launch. It is a possibility for after launch, but very likely not at launch as more animations for both characters and mounts would have to be created. Sounds simple, but it would add a lot more time for developers, possibly delaying the game launch.

2/12/2018 7:35:53 AM #14

Balance wise mounted archery, as pointed out alry, is just way to op.

There is no "yes but u have a throwing axe" means u have to level this shit and always carry it for one stupid thing. And the range is short, bow archers doenst have this problem. its hella boring run after someone ridding a horse shooting u forever, u turn around, he turn around and shoot, u run after him, he run away

In a openworld, its just to strong compared to everything, and to boring. On a battlefield where u know there is other classes to counter, it might work. IF they only can shoot while standing still, a lancer get them. But openworld... nah...

2/12/2018 8:02:18 AM #15

If earth history is an example, then mounted archery should be a tribal specialty. This is because it is a very difficult skill to train. One has to be a very proficient rider and a very proficient archer both. In earth history, only semi-nomadic herding tribes were really good at it.

I think mounted archers can be neutralized or minimized in the damage they do, but it will take some clever tactics and organization. Crossbowmen and foot archers generally outrange mounted archers, so placement of them in defensive positions, preferably protected by walls and caltrop-infested ground, will prevent mounted archers from getting too close. Variations on the ballista like the lighter and more precise scorpio are also effective in defensive fights. Their main threat is to field armies and especially invading armies without their own contingents of mounted archers, or at least light cavalry.

The Battle of Carrhae is a classic example of how to fight with horse archers, and how not to fight against them. >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleofCarrhae

It should be noted that a Knight Archer does not necessarily use a bow when mounted. The OP's avatar image shows a heavily-armored foot archer with a rather massive bow. The heavy armor typical of a knight would be counter-productive for the hit-and-run tactics that mounted archers are most effective at. Mounted archers main defense against infantry such as the Roman legions lied in the fact that even their light bows outranged the legionnaires thrown projectiles and their ability to ride away before a legionnairy charge could reach them.

Note that I am treating combat as if it were RL military in style and effect, and not as fantasy RPG generally depicts it.