COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Dead Character Obituary

This post is inspired by a comment someone else made about their character dying and unknowingly having a dormant talent that never got unlocked. Sorry I don't remember who it was that said it.

So the idea is that there would be a tab in the character selection screen to see an obituary of all your permanently dead characters. This could include information about their skills, any accomplishments in the story that involved the Soulborn Engine, and whether they had a talent(dormant or unlocked).

I don't see how this could in any way be a bad thing since the character is already perma dead. It could also be useful to remember what skills you had trained up before that would then be easier to skill up in the next life.

What do you guys think about an obituary for past lives? Or has this idea already come up and I missed it?

7/17/2017 5:40:10 PM #1

Yes, it would be cool to see what you had accomplished with your 'previous' character, and possible act the same way or improve and learn from a possible mistake.

7/17/2017 6:00:26 PM #2

Would be cool if you could see your previous character had a latent talent.

7/17/2017 7:46:33 PM #3

(Edit: My information is out of date. Corrected in a following post.)

Talents are connected to the soul. So even after permadeath, the soul can be carried into an heir. While I think it would be great to know you have a dormant talent, I think it would also make it too easy (if you know you have one, there's a limited number of things to do to unlock it).

I like the rest of the suggestions. If I become wealthy enough I would like to make shrines to my peradead characters so an obit would help me remember things that occur over 8-14 months that I may forget. And it would be nice to be able to look back and remember major feats.

7/17/2017 7:58:25 PM #4

I really like this idea. Also like the idea of a shrine for characters past - gives the idea a place in the physical world (game world lol) instead of just a menu/interface.

7/17/2017 8:11:22 PM #5

Posted By Kelipski at 3:46 PM - Mon Jul 17 2017

Talents are connected to the soul. So even after permadeath, the soul can be carried into an heir. While I think it would be great to know you have a dormant talent, I think it would also make it too easy (if you know you have one, there's a limited number of things to do to unlock it).

I like the rest of the suggestions. If I become wealthy enough I would like to make shrines to my peradead characters so an obit would help me remember things that occur over 8-14 months that I may forget. And it would be nice to be able to look back and remember major feats.

I believe Talents are no longer connected to Soul and instead linked to character. I will look to see if i can find it tonight, but someone will probably beat me to it.

7/17/2017 8:23:07 PM #6

Talents are definitely connected to you Character now so when you die you loose the talent and it goes back into the Talent Pool. Also I am thinking there will be a history of your accomplishments or talents for your Soul in the Halls of Records. It would be nice to have a Scroll Slot available for each soul that contains Scrolls covering your past lifetimes.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/17/2017 8:36:03 PM #7

Plus one to this idea. I can just imagine the ten year story just about to end, or the end is on the horizon atleast.

And then there's me, about to be reborn once again and saying goodbyes to my past lives that got me up to this point. Being sad or happy that I made my goals in this game or not. I find endings like that poetic in a bittersweet way.

7/17/2017 9:06:42 PM #8

If talents are no longer connected to the soul that's news to me. I'll look for more recent information. I'm going off (I think a Q&A) where it was mentioned that talents get stronger with each character. I really liked that idea. Oh well, if they are linked to the character then I would like an obit that tells me I should be more adventurous because I missed out on a dormant talent.

7/17/2017 9:10:43 PM #9

Posted By Kelipski at 4:06 PM - Mon Jul 17 2017

If talents are no longer connected to the soul that's news to me. I'll look for more recent information. I'm going off (I think a Q&A) where it was mentioned that talents get stronger with each character. I really liked that idea. Oh well, if they are linked to the character then I would like an obit that tells me I should be more adventurous because I missed out on a dormant talent.

Skills get stronger and easier to learn life after life. Talents are only for that character. You had the two confused is all.

Oh and +1 on the Chronicle Idea!

yes I said it...

7/17/2017 11:50:48 PM #10

(sub-conversation)

So I looked into it. DJ 1 they did say that talents would be bound to souls. They walked that back after further review and as of the Q&A from the 08FEB17, Caspian did announce that souls are character bound. My bad on the out of date info.

Caspian's words: "A lot of people know we updated our talent design, initially we wanted it so talents are attached to the soul and if you had a talent you had it generation after generation and I had a design meeting a couple of weeks back with some designer friends of mine, they’re not part of the company they’re talented designers and we met all day one day, and that was one of those topics we kept coming back to iterating on and we just found that the system worked so much better if talents are not bound to the soul. But they’re instead randomly given to you at character creation time."

9/22/2017 7:27:52 PM #11

Building a crypt is really going to be a thing now!

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

10/11/2017 3:04:39 PM #12

if they do end up making crypts or character shrines i think it would be cool to add an offering feature to honor your dead characters like leave a bottle of wine or rum for the departed which would in turn give people a reason to loot character shrines and make a grave robber profession so if you didnt have the appropriate locks your characters tombs would get raided

10/11/2017 9:38:55 PM #13

I can imaging a future where you can order some sort of physical death certificate for your character from the SBS store. Or where some enterprising fan has an Etsy shop for the same. ;)

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.