COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Engineers' Guild Interest

I haven't seen anyone come up with a guild around the fantasy engineer concept (Or perhaps I've missed it). First off, as I understand it, there are two types of engineers:

Civil Engineers

These are the guys and gals that create roads, bridges, dams, and buildings. It is likely a king or duke will want a group of skilled builders to help build a formidable keep to deter enemies or valuable bridge to travel easier on traders.

Mechanical Engineers

Where the Civil Engineer creates towns, the Mechanical Engineer creates printing presses, chariots, catapults and foldable gliders (here's to hoping these get added). These are the engineers that will provide siege equipment to armies and the means to spread the news.

The Guild Idea/Interest Poll
  1. Since I haven't see an ad for one yet, would you be interested in a guild that focused on planning out and building things for settlements or devices for professional and wartime use?

2. Do you think this concept could be a guild on it's own, or would it do better inside of a bigger guild?

3. Which type of engineer would you be?

4. If you had a big group of engineers, what would you build?

5. What do you want to see 'invented' in CoE?

"I'll give the bandit credit, he could run fast. Just not faster than my crossbow."

5/8/2017 8:40:17 AM #1
  1. Mains to be seen as we get a more in depth idea of how crafting and such works.

2. Sure it could be its own concept. forget about the common guild stuff and think more medieval guilds. Like The Clockwork Tinkers... well, just an idea.

3. I have no clue as of this yet.

4. Airships I think.

5. Repeater Crossbow.

5/8/2017 8:42:35 AM #2

We are that group mate on NA-W, please see the link to navigation in my signature.

5/8/2017 8:51:27 AM #3

Depending on the depth of the alchemical system you could also see Alchemical Engineers similar to Chemical Engineers in contemporary life.

1. For sure, especially as a Duke myself civil engineers will be like water to a man dying of thirst. There's a lot to be built out there.

2. I could see it being a guild on its own or working within the framework of a more general academy or professional trademan enterprise. Civil and Military engineering are definitely broad enough to be their own guild though.

3. Personally, a siege engineer has always seemed like a fun life.

4. Roads, canals, and docks. Infrastructure is king when it comes to building a prosperous realm in my humble opinion. Maybe the Total War games hammered that into me.

5. Decency towards one's fellow Mann. Just kidding, I'd like to see some light magitech in the field of alchemy (not actual magic) but I dunno. I'm open to most technological advance but I'd prefer if firearms only ever got to arquebusier level so warfare would at most advance to about Pike & Shot tactics.

5/8/2017 8:53:32 AM #4

As a chemical engineer, I'm keen to see if maybe we can do batch processing of alchemical goods.

Sign me up XD

5/8/2017 9:06:30 AM #5

I'm very glad to see the interest this is picking up! I'd love to see alchemical goods and siege works come together :D

Who needs mages when we can rain flaming death by practical means?

5/8/2017 10:01:50 AM #6

I also have a simialr group on NA-W ;)

Builders of Elyria which is basically my county that focus's on infrastructure to make building easier/quicker and more widespread :D

5/8/2017 10:04:25 AM #7

We have a similar type of group in my county, if you are planning on being EU, jump on our discord

https://discord.gg/PgrhY5k

5/8/2017 11:07:29 AM #8

A funny note amongst the Civil and Mechanical/Electrical (let's say Alchemical maybe in this game) engineers; Civil makes the targets and the Mechanical/Alchemical builds the weapons.

1. I'd be interested in an organization to accommodate all engineers and yet not be locked to it.

2. It'd have to be an open society that has an agreed upon standard and details that all King's general agree to. Such as the American Society of Civil Engineers or the American Society of Highway Engineers. They do the research and development and the local authorities dictate whether or not they should use their information for uniformity across the continent. For instance the AASTHO 'Green Book' is the main standards for all roadway yet in Georgia the GDOT Design Policy Manual overrides it due to their preference yet references the crap out of the AASHTO and will occasionally say "Use the standard as references in the AASHTO Green Book".

3. Which type of engineer would you be? Civil. Would probably fall under roadway design.

4. If you had a big group of engineers, what would you build? A crap ton of roads and sewers. Gotta get that crap out of the city.

5. What do you want to see 'invented' in CoE? A huge medieval roundabout.

5/8/2017 5:43:34 PM #9

The way that our group is doing is that we are the practical arm of the engineering sector within our domain. We have contracts with other groups to do research and development through a university. In this game nearly every job is capable of being used in a civil works environment and so we have made flexibility in employment our second highest priority, only second to completing infrastructure projects.

Not only alchemists, but also a very large number of non-typical professions will be working with our group. Civil infrastructure is our priority, but it isn't our only priority. Instead we have a priority system that follows Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Engineering isn't just about infrastructure, its about critical thinking. We can apply engineering principals to any mechanic or profession in the game to make it better and more cohesive with the other mechanical components and that is exactly what we have decided to do. Our choice to expand beyond simple civil engineering has allowed us better fiscal solvency and the capacity to better our community using our existing members in a much more flexible way.

I suggest that anyone looking into a civil engineering group ask themselves a few things.

1. What sort of projects are being completed and how are they chosen?

2. How are those projects funded?

3. How are the projects implemented?

4. Who benefits from those projects?

If those four questions aren't answered satisfactorily, chances are its not the right group for you or they haven't put enough critical thinking into the projects and need guidance. There are other important questions here, but I think these four are the most direct ones to figuring out what the group is really about.

5/8/2017 9:14:42 PM #10

Posted By Jouten at 06:07 AM - Mon May 08 2017

A funny note amongst the Civil and Mechanical/Electrical (let's say Alchemical maybe in this game) engineers; Civil makes the targets and the Mechanical/Alchemical builds the weapons.

I was actually going to put that in the main post :P

I'd also really love a giant roundabout or somewhere a lot of the main roads cross. It would be a natural place to set up shop for merchants or even grow a small town naturally.

5/8/2017 9:35:43 PM #11

I plan to be a tinker but bearing in mind many of the bits mentioned are relatively advanced for the period, I wouldn't expect to see much of it in play at the outset. Over the 10 year period, Elyria might head towards steampunk, but certainly wouldn't be expected to start out there.

5/9/2017 1:51:23 PM #12

A random heads up too, in the past the roads were legitimately tolled and were privately owned. Of course you'll have those ruffians who are just going to rough people up for money, but sometimes those cobblestone paths were maintained privately, such as the Great North Road in England where before you entered it you'd have to go through a wooden toll gate.

5/26/2017 11:53:43 PM #13

Engineering can be the foundation for all in the Kingdom. The Life Blood of trade travels the Kingdom's roads. The Town's Shelter and help Protect the citizens of any Great Land. The shops, guilds and schools help us grow and reach for our next goal. Engineering can bring peace and prosperity to the Kingdom.

In time of war it can shelter the homes and towns of our citizens. It can also bring pain and suffering down on those that threaten the land and its people. Troops move quickly to places in need of aid and allow the transport of supplies needed to field an army in the Kingdom's name. news and information travel quickly as does the materials needed to grow and prosper. A salute to our creative engineers and all they offer to the kingdoms who make best use of their skills.

For myself all Guilds and skills are welcome to join the Efforts of this great land.

The Kingdom of Vornair

The Duchy of Stormlands

The County of Seidr

The Town of Fararo

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

11/18/2018 7:06:03 AM #14

This is a neat idea. I think this would make a good RP idea for a Guild as well. I would be playing on the EST server if I did play the game. I would love to design a Steam Mech of some kind, something that could be used for industry(e.g. moving crates, working with raw materials like cutting trees down and mining) As well as for use in war and defense.Also I think the idea's mentioned before of Airships and Repeating Crossbow's have my vote. I think it would be fun to be able to design and make things. I would be more of a Mechanical Engineer. It will be neat to see what this world will bring.

11/18/2018 8:39:18 AM #15

Posted By Lodestone at 12:42 AM - Mon May 08 2017

We are that group mate on NA-W, please see the link to navigation in my signature.

Can attest, am engineering student and part of the club.