COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will there be Fishing?

Just a question here, is fishing going to be a skill you can use as a means to get food? I have seen several mentions of it in county and Duchy posts but have not been able to find it in any of the trade skill related references. Just for me I like just vegging by the river bank, fishing pole in hand, just watching the clouds go by.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

3/23/2017 8:23:51 AM #16

Posted By nopenotme at 05:06 AM - Mon Mar 20 2017

Posted By Sharielane at 07:25 AM - Sun Mar 19 2017

Posted By Ironside at 02:34 AM - Sun Mar 19 2017

Yep yep! Fishing is definitely in! But whaling... that is the real question I've been waiting to have answered! :)

Honestly I doubt we will get word on such a thing any time soon- what with underwater biomes being deferred until after Launch and with whale-hunting itself not being a necessary thought until AFTER sea-going vessels are researched. Not to mention that whale-hunting itself will likely be a technology/method that will need to be researched to implement anyway when the time comes.

I think the question that would be better to ask would be if there will be whale-beaching events on coastline beaches at Launch. Not only are they a historically accurate and plausible thing to have occur in the game from Launch, but the inclusion of such a thing will confirm whales being a thing which means the ability to research how to hunt such a thing further down the track will also be a thing as well (hmm I think I said 'thing' too many times :p).

This is in no way intended as any sort of slight, so please do not take it as such.

However, in the history of whaling, whales were hunted in non-ocean going vessels for quite some time. Ocean-going vessels allowed whale hunting on a massive commercial scale, but prior to this, local fishing communities were whale hunting in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific oceans as far as 8000 years ago or more using small boats and various level of canoes (outrigger and others).

They could therefore plausibly add whale-hunting as soon as or shortly after canoes are researched without adversely affecting immersion.

Umm where did I say that whale-hunting wasn't historically accurate? I just said that whale-beaching, and coastal communities benefiting from such events, was a historically accurate thing to happen - the two don't mutually exclude the other. You said it yourself that canoes will likely have to be researched first. Most likely harpooning technology as well. Whale-beaching on the other hand can be an event possible from the get-go, and it can be something that can be tied-in story-wise to drive research into such a thing. "hmmm this beached whale sure fed our settlement for quite a while, if only there was a way to consistently get more whales without waiting for one to beach itself". it's probably what kisckstarted our ancestors into finding ways to hunt whales 8,000 years ago, no?

Imgur Imgur

3/23/2017 5:45:25 PM #17

The point of the post was to support ironside's enthusiastic desire for whaling, and reassure him that it could likely be in the near(as opposed to the far) future. It was not meant to belittle anyone else's opinions.

12/12/2019 3:30:45 AM #18

We already have cutters and ballistae not much of a stretch from there.

12/12/2019 5:05:22 AM #19

I'm honestly really looking forward to this. Just sitting back, legs hanging over the dock, and fishing. Would be some great downtime!

Depending on the complexity, there might be competitive fishing :0

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8

12/14/2019 1:25:25 AM #20

Yes , a nice break !