COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will there be Fishing?

Just a question here, is fishing going to be a skill you can use as a means to get food? I have seen several mentions of it in county and Duchy posts but have not been able to find it in any of the trade skill related references. Just for me I like just vegging by the river bank, fishing pole in hand, just watching the clouds go by.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

3/18/2017 1:51:14 PM #1

This game has animal breeding and farming, to not have fishing would imo be a strange move.

3/18/2017 3:08:46 PM #2

I haven't seen them post there would be, but i concur with soulspark.

3/18/2017 3:25:23 PM #3

They have stated there will be fishing, but no details on the exact mechanics (same with all the other skills really):

Yes, you can fish in Elyria. As you state, it will need to be from land at the start, and then from boats once the research makes them available.

Source: Q&A

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

3/18/2017 4:34:40 PM #4

Yep yep! Fishing is definitely in! But whaling... that is the real question I've been waiting to have answered! :)

3/18/2017 7:52:24 PM #5

My question is: Is there room in Elaria for those of us who are interested in Entomophagy? If not, what should we do? I am particularly seeking advice from OrangeBoy.

3/18/2017 9:22:22 PM #6

Thank you for making me google the word "entomophagy." lol

“Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.” -Alfonso X, King of Castile

3/19/2017 10:07:58 AM #7

I quite liked the ArcheAge fishing system, just as a comparison.

What sort of fishing system would you guys like to see?

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

3/19/2017 10:55:28 AM #8

Will we get disqualified for using a sinking lure?

3/19/2017 11:25:37 AM #9

Posted By Ironside at 02:34 AM - Sun Mar 19 2017

Yep yep! Fishing is definitely in! But whaling... that is the real question I've been waiting to have answered! :)

Honestly I doubt we will get word on such a thing any time soon- what with underwater biomes being deferred until after Launch and with whale-hunting itself not being a necessary thought until AFTER sea-going vessels are researched. Not to mention that whale-hunting itself will likely be a technology/method that will need to be researched to implement anyway when the time comes.

I think the question that would be better to ask would be if there will be whale-beaching events on coastline beaches at Launch. Not only are they a historically accurate and plausible thing to have occur in the game from Launch, but the inclusion of such a thing will confirm whales being a thing which means the ability to research how to hunt such a thing further down the track will also be a thing as well (hmm I think I said 'thing' too many times :p).

Imgur Imgur

3/19/2017 2:24:08 PM #10

Posted By Themata at 06:07 AM - Sun Mar 19 2017

I quite liked the ArcheAge fishing system, just as a comparison.

What sort of fishing system would you guys like to see?

I liked the Arche Age system also but the overall game was a disappointment.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

3/19/2017 3:05:51 PM #11

I quite enjoyed the personal fishing in Elder Scrolls Online. Different bait needed for different water types and areas and to obtain specific fish.

3/19/2017 4:33:06 PM #12

Posted By Sharielane at 07:25 AM - Sun Mar 19 2017

Honestly I doubt we will get word on such a thing any time soon- what with underwater biomes being deferred until after Launch and with whale-hunting itself not being a necessary thought until AFTER sea-going vessels are researched. Not to mention that whale-hunting itself will likely be a technology/method that will need to be researched to implement anyway when the time comes.

I think the question that would be better to ask would be if there will be whale-beaching events on coastline beaches at Launch. Not only are they a historically accurate and plausible thing to have occur in the game from Launch, but the inclusion of such a thing will confirm whales being a thing which means the ability to research how to hunt such a thing further down the track will also be a thing as well (hmm I think I said 'thing' too many times :p).

Yeah it'd be hard to research whaling if we never witness a whale haha.

3/19/2017 6:40:55 PM #13

Posted By JaYo1259 at 5:22 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

Thank you for making me google the word "entomophagy." lol

You are most welcome. I am pleased that I was able to brighten your day.

3/19/2017 7:06:41 PM #14

This is in no way intended as any sort of slight, so please do not take it as such.

However, in the history of whaling, whales were hunted in non-ocean going vessels for quite some time. Ocean-going vessels allowed whale hunting on a massive commercial scale, but prior to this, local fishing communities were whale hunting in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific oceans as far as 8000 years ago or more using small boats and various level of canoes (outrigger and others).

They could therefore plausibly add whale-hunting as soon as or shortly after canoes are researched without adversely affecting immersion.

3/19/2017 8:05:33 PM #15

Posted By nopenotme at 2:06 PM - Sun Mar 19 2017

This is in no way intended as any sort of slight, so please do not take it as such.

However, in the history of whaling, whales were hunted in non-ocean going vessels for quite some time. Ocean-going vessels allowed whale hunting on a massive commercial scale, but prior to this, local fishing communities were whale hunting in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific oceans as far as 8000 years ago or more using small boats and various level of canoes (outrigger and others).

They could therefore plausibly add whale-hunting as soon as or shortly after canoes are researched without adversely affecting immersion.

yeah i don't see whale hunting being a separate skill tree from fishing. It would just be a matter of figuring out the right bait to use at the right place, with a hook and string\cord\cable strong enough to not break when they fight back.

and that is assuming it isn't down with harpoon\spear fishing technique which is older and even still used to hunt whales in some parts of the world now.